[IronPython] Patching sys.modules to hide CLR 'modules'

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Mar 20 20:44:08 CET 2007

The .NET namespaces don't live in sys.modules instead they live in their own hierarchy which is implemented as a "ReflectedPackage" class.  The ReflectedPackage is checked after we fail to find the module in sys.modules so if you to stick something into sys.modules you'll take precedence over the namespaces.

If you want to delegate back to the normal .NET namespaces you'll want to import the namespace first, then patch sys.modules, and have your module delegate back.

Something like:

import System as S
class myclass(object):
    def __init__(self, backing):
            self.backing = backing
    def __getattr__(self, name):
                # your interception here
            return getattr(self.backing, name)
import sys
sys.modules['System'] = myclass(S)
import System.Drawing  # myclass.__getattr__ is called for Drawing