[IronPython] Patent concerns

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 19:41:54 CEST 2007

On 6/1/07, Curt Hagenlocher <curt at hagenlocher.org> wrote:

> People who are simply *using* IronPython are covered by the license.

Well them, and those who want "to make, have made, use, sell, offer for
sale, import, and/or otherwise dispose of its contribution in the software
or derivative works of the contribution in the software."

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that "I once looked at the source
code, and it could have influenced this idea in particular" is covered by at
least one if not more of the above rights.

The originally-expressed concern was that looking at the IronPython source
> code might "contaminate" a developer such that, if the same developer later
> worked on a different project with similar architecture, it might open that
> project up to claims of violating a Microsoft patent.

Right, which as you point out,

I am not a lawyer, but this seems highly unlikely.

I agree, though am confused by your following sentence,

"Independent rediscovery" does not protect you from claims of patent
> infringement, only from copyright infringement.

Unless I am misreading, it seems you are suggesting that the protection
comes in the form of copyright, not patent, and therefore could present a
problem.  Have I misinterpreted?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson