[IronPython] IronPython Start-up Time

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jul 17 18:21:18 CEST 2007

It's a great time to bring this up because I'm currently investigating various start-up time issues and trying to improve our startup time.  I'll give you a breakdown of what I've discovered so far:

                Various reflection that we do over types:
                                This includes over modules (SystemState, built-ins, re, etc...)
                                Over types for creating "DynamicType"s: object, string, PythonFile, etc... - these are the types we need to startup and display the logo.
                JITing methods:
                                Not on hello world, but on a more complex scenario, I know we JIT 2500 methods on startup on the desktop CLR (this is loading the Python version of the chess API shown at MIX - but not actually running it).  Obviously that's going to take some time too.  W/o an ngen's mscorlib we'll JIT something like 4000 methods.

There's also some little things here and there but my numbers show JITing is representing around 70% of our startup time.  Being as fast as CPython might be tough but we certainly want to do better than where we are.