[IronPython] import subprocess

Eric.Wyler at bentley.com Eric.Wyler at bentley.com
Thu Jul 5 22:09:12 CEST 2007

Matt,

I had the same problem and ended up solving it by using
System.Diagnostics.Process instead of subprocess.  As far as I know,
subprocess doesn't work under IronPython.  I don't remember all of the
reasons as to why it doesn't work, but, for example, os.pipe doesn't
exist under IronPython like in CPython.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of extra work if you're using subprocess to
capture stdout, stdin, etc.  Here's a snippet of some code I used for
this.  It's not very straightforward, unfortunately, because I wanted to
combine the stdout/stderr streams.  Also, the only way to run a command
like you would type it on the command line is to run it through cmd.exe.
You can search around for it, getting return values can be a real pain
as well.  I didn't test this code, just tried to copy and paste the
important parts from what I have, so I may have forgotten something.

class Process :

    def __init__( self ):

  self.stdoutstderr = System.IO.StringWriter()

  self.cmdLine = "rd /s /q ."

    def Run( self ):

        processStartInfo = System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo( "cmd",
"/c " + self.cmdLine )

        processStartInfo.UseShellExecute = False

        processStartInfo.RedirectStandardInput = True

        processStartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = True

        processStartInfo.RedirectStandardError = True

        processStartInfo.CreateNoWindow = True

        processStartInfo.EnvironmentVariables.Clear()

        for envVariable in os.environ.keys() :

            processStartInfo.EnvironmentVariables.Add( envVariable,
os.environ[ envVariable ] )

        processToRun = System.Diagnostics.Process()

        processToRun.StartInfo = processStartInfo

        processToRun.OutputDataReceived += self.__WriteStdoutData

        processToRun.ErrorDataReceived += self.__WriteStderrData

        processToRun.Start()

        processToRun.BeginOutputReadLine()

        processToRun.BeginErrorReadLine()

        processToRun.WaitForExit()

        stdoutstderrReader = System.IO.StringReader(
self.stdoutstderr.ToString() )

        return ( processToRun.StandardInput, stdoutstderrReader )

    def __WriteStdoutData ( self, sendingProcess, stdoutData ) :

        if stdoutData.Data != None:

            self.stdoutstderr.Write( stdoutData.Data + '\n' )

    def __WriteStderrData ( self, sendingProcess, stderrData ) :

        if stderrData.Data != None:

            self.stdoutstderr.Write( stderrData.Data + '\n' )

Hopefully that helps.

Eric