[IronPython] ipy.exe crashes after attempting import in VS 2008 command window

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Dec 3 18:59:07 CET 2007

You should be able to get a better stack trace by putting the MS public symbol server in your symbol path.  In VS that's Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols and then add:

SRV*DownstreamStore*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Where DownstreamStore is some directory like C:\Symbols.

You might have better luck with windbg or cdb (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx) though.  If you start ipy.exe under windbg and then type in its command line:

sxe clr
sxe eh

(1st one enables CLR exceptions, 2nd one enables SEH exceptions, 3rd one runs).  You'll break at an exception and then do:

.symfix
.loadby sos mscorwks
!ClrStack
kb30
!pe

(1st one will fix the symbol path to the public server, 2nd one loads "Son of Strike" the CLR debugging tool, 3rd one prints the clr stack, 4th one prints the native stack, 5th one prints the CLR exception (if it can), and the 5th one again continues execution)

and do that for each exception until it exits.

That'd give us the exceptions as they were happening instead of after they happen w/ Watson.

Hopefully it'll repro under windbg...  If that doesn't work then hopefully just getting symbols from the attach after Watson displays it's UI will be more helpful.