[IronPython] About IronPython and LINQ again

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Fri Apr 27 20:57:56 CEST 2007

As Dino mentions, nothing prevents you from calling the static extensions directly:  they exist in the System.Linq namespace of System.Core.dll.  The problem, of course, is that you end up with a lot of

   Queryable.Select(Queryable.Where(someInputSequence, somePredicate), someFuncThatReturnsTheSequenceElement)

instead of the more pleasant

   someInputSequence.Where(somePredicate).Select(someFuncThatReturnsTheSequenceElement)

or even

   from x in someInputSequence
   where somePredicate(x)
   select someFuncThatReturnsTheSequenceElement(x)

And that's without getting deeply into the type naming, or expression building with parameters.  However, it's still entirely doable -- it's just *MUCH* easier when the language is helping out with extension methods, expressions trees from lambdas, and sophisticated type inference capabilities.

As for ASP.NET itself, Scott Guthrie (in his blog) has already mentioned the impending LinqDataSource control, which will do some of the more interesting stuff for you.  You'll probably be able to have a working solution off of that alone, I think (I haven't had the opportunity to play around with it, though I took a stab at writing one, which exists in the May CTP samples).  Then, when IronPython gets additional features enabled I imagine you'll have some more flexibility available.