[IronPython] Strange slowness when loading IronPython.dll

Paul Felix pef at fluent.com
Mon Sep 25 18:01:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm running IronPython 1.0 on Windows XP:

IronPython 1.0.60816 on .NET 2.0.50727.42

Something happened on my Windows XP box last week, and now when I start
ipy.exe, the console window appears, but it takes ~15 seconds for the
intro string and prompt to appear. Oddly enough, I found that this only
happens with the Codeplex 1.0 binary distribution. If I build from the
1.0 source (release or debug using VS 2005 Professional) and run that,
it starts up in ~1 second. The Codeplex binary *used to* start up on my
box just fine about a week ago.

I'm also embedding IronPython in a C# application, and I found that the
first time the C# code accesses a class in IronPython.dll, the 15 second
delay kicks in. The CPU isn't doing anything during the delay, and my
antivirus software is not doing anything. It seems like it's related to
the loading of IronPython.dll. Is there any way to trace or debug that

Certainly, my workaround is the use the version I built myself, but this
is a head scratcher.

Any thoughts would be most helpful.
Thanks,
Paul