[IronPython] true division?

Gary Stephenson garys at ihug.com.au
Fri Sep 22 03:03:15 CEST 2006

Hi John

> The difference in this case is that IronPython has special-cased the
> "from __future__ import whatever" caper -- there is no module called
> __future__ in IronPython. Note the different error messages below:

> | Traceback (most recent call last):
> | SyntaxError: future feature is not defined: somerubbish (<stdin>, line
> 1)
> | Traceback (most recent call last):
> |  File , line 0, in <stdin>##13
> | ImportError: Cannot import name somerubbish

Yes, indeed I think it was the "future feature is not defined" message that
convinced me that ipy grokked the whole "form/import __future__ ..." thing,
which is why I didn't consider the CPython lib dependency (along with the
fact that I had not previously comprehended the fact that there is indeed an
actual module somewhere called "__future__" - I'd always thought of it as an
entirely insubstantial time machine type of whatsit).

thanks again,

gary