[IronPython] Trac, Genshi, AST, etc.

Sanghyeon Seo sanxiyn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:59:46 CEST 2006

This is a little investigation I did for Trac on IronPython.

The primary link of interest is:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/667

Okay, initially I intended to write a good introduction on involved
issues to be readable by outsiders, but I give up. I paste what I
wrote on Trac ticket. Food for thoughts.

* * *

Re: jonas IronPython supports os and StringIO module now.

Re: mgood As you pointed out, ClearSilver is a C extension and can't
be made to run on IronPython. I think getting Genshi run would be
possible though. See below.

For SVN access, I am willing to write a VC plugin using .NET
subversion libraries like NSvn.

For a database library, I have DB-API implementation backed by ADO.NET
and a compatibility module for sqlite ready.

I also have md5 module using System.Security.Cryptograpy ready.

For compiler package, the package itself is pure-Python, the problem
lies on parser module. PyPy project wrote a pure-Python implementation
of parser module, which should run just fine on IronPython:
http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/interpreter/pyparser/

Another possibility is new _ast interface in Python 2.5. (See
http://genshi.edgewall.org/changeset/31) Unlike old parser interface,
it looks very feasible for IronPython to implement this interface.

Bytecode generation is problematic. Naturally IronPython can't support
new.code called with CPython bytecode. I am thinking about using
unparse to turn that to Python source and then exec to get a code
object: http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/p3yk/Demo/parser/unparse.py

Lots of rough ideas.

--
Seo Sanghyeon