[IronPython] Is any one use IronPython in your project?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Nov 23 10:54:04 CET 2006

> > sounds like you're confusing "Python" with "the stuff I get when I download
> > the CPython 2.5 installer from python.org".  don't do that; it only muddles the
> > water for people who can distinguish between a language and a given im-
> > plementation of it, and scares away people who haven't used either Python
> > implementation.
>
> I don't muddle anything. But you are being harsh.
> If IP was only meant for .NET developers to move to dynamic languages
> such as Python then either the project is half useful or you've missed
> something.

you're stuck in the "Python is CPython 2.5 as packaged by python.org"
mode of thinking.  snap out of it.

> IP has a platform will only achieve its goal if it allows Python
> developers to try the .NET environment AND if .NET developers understand
> that some things are much easier with the Python environment
> (language+stdlib).

it's not obvious to me that Python's standard library is, in any way,
better than
the DotNet standard library.  it's obvious that the Python language is
better than
other languages for lots of tasks.

> Funny enough what has made Python a success is also its stdlib.

the standard library was a lot more important when Python was competing with
languages didn't have extensive standard libraries too.

> Given that ElementTree is now part of that same stdlib I assume you know that
> it will make it an even bigger success.

as of 1.2.7, ElementTree also supports IronPython 1.0 natively, right out of the
box.  thanks to careful design of the XMLReader stuff in the DotNet standard
library, and careful modular design on the ET side of things.  took me minutes
to find the right DotNet API, and figure out how to use it.  I'm not
sure I can say
the same about many Python XML API:s.

> > (and what's the point running your existing Python stuff on IronPython?  don't
> > you already have CPython for that purpose?  what I love with IronPython is all
> > the *new* things I can do with it, and all the *new* projects I can bring Python
> > into.  not that I get yet another platform to run my old crap on.)
>
> That's stupid reasoning I'm sorry.
> The all point is to be able to use the best of both worlds and you only
> look at one side.

I could have sworn that *I* was the one who said that IronPython success-
fully fuses Python the language with DotNet the platform, and you were the
one who kept repeating that "CPython is the one true Python, and Iron-
Python is not CPython, so it's broken", but maybe I missed some post in
this thread.

doesn't matter, really: among my customers, IronPython has done more for
Python's visibility and marketability than *any* other Python project in recent
times, and I'm learning a *lot* from integrating IronPython in existing DotNet
projects.  I could of course ignore that, and sit in a corner by
myself muttering
that "it's not real Python, and they're not using it the right way, so why are
they so darn happy with it" in a Homer Simpson voice, but that would be more
religion than engineering, and it would definitely not be Pythonic.

</F>