[IronPython] IronPython support In Visual Studio 2005 April VSSDK?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue May 30 17:43:45 CEST 2006

The two files that you see is being done through partial class support which is a language feature that both C# & VB support.  Python doesn't have such a feature, and so we've been discussing internally ways we could do this - unfortunately we haven't come up with the ideal solution yet.

Ultimately we want to have a very similar experience to C# & VB, but it certainly may not be the same.  I believe our next round of VS integration work will enable the drop-down list for types & members.  Debugging should work today, although you won't get the greatest display for your locals or classes always - but you can at least step through.  I don't believe we have any specific plans to improve debugging immediately.

You should be able to place your code anywhere in Form1.py.  The CodeDom parser should just merge generated code in along w/ your code.  If you run into any issues there let us know J.

Is the issue w/ the code the one Vagmi pointed out (types in types)?  This should work.  One suggestion would be to look in the Data property of the exception, and find the Python version of the exception - it may contain more meaningful information.