[IronPython] Visual Studio Express Editions

JoeSox joesox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:16:01 CET 2006

On 3/15/06, Donnal Walter <donnalcwalter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded VB 2005 Express Edition and Visual C# 2005 Express Edition in order to learn about .NET, but I really miss Python. Can I use IronPython with one of these Express Editions of Visual Studio?

Hi Donnal. I am also new to IronPython but have spent about a month
with the library.
IronPython is written in C# so you may use it in Visual C# 2005.  I
believe you may also use it in VB 2005 Express if you reference the
dll files as COM objects.  But I haven't tested it in VB so you may
not want to rely on my word.
There is a Studio Solution file included with IronPython so you can
rebuild it in Visual C# 2005 if you need to, or just browse the
classes.

For what I was working on, I decided not to use the console interface
and to make things somewhat easier for myself I developed a TextBox
based control that attempt to simulate a console.  I just posted an
article and the source project files are available here:
http://codeproject.com/useritems/irontextbox.asp

I had to stop development on that control a little shorter than I
would have liked, because of time constrants, but its good enough for
some users to play around with.
--
Joseph