[IronPython] more pythonic than python

fernando moreira fclm1000 at msn.com
Tue Jun 20 15:55:20 CEST 2006

Hello !

First of all, thanks for the great job you are doing !

Second, as newbie programmer i would like  to ask if you have in mind after
finnish IP, to create a completely pythonic language - like python should be
without its warts and gotchas. I think it would not be hard for you to do
the cleaning in the language ( the PEPs are too slow and shy ;(  ).

Below come 2 examples that bother me and i did not find in the python´s
gotchas/warts pages in internet.

Thanks ;)

>>>class __Verbs:
...     def __init__(self):
...             annoy = "argh"
...             bother = "bargh"
>>>v = __Verbs()
>>>v.mother = "we should have an error here (i mistyped the variable's
>>>name)"

I think this is an excessive flexibility of the language, error prone.

>>>str = "abc"
>>>str[0] = "z"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File , line 0, in <stdin>##14
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute '__setitem__'

Although this useful feature appears in pnuts language. This time the
language was not flexible and simple enough for my taste.