[IronPython] IronPython (PythonCodePovider) for ASP.NET?

Mark Rees mark.john.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 02:29:41 CEST 2006

Dino wrote:

<snip>
The main concern is that we are shoe-horning a dynmamic language into
a static world and that's not really the right thing to do.  With
enough effort we might be able to pull it off, but there might be a
better way to go which enables ASP.NET w/o the feeling of it not being
Python.  There might also always be rough edges that we can never
quite make work correctly - and given we've spent all this time making
IronPython work like CPython we don't want to just throw that away.
</snip>

One pythonic way of "hosting" IronPython within ASP.NET is to use WSGI
(http://wsgi.org/wsgi/What_is_WSGI) Seo did the original work and I
have made his stuff more WSGI PEP compliant and work with the latest
IronPython Beta hosting API. SInce Seo is not near a network
connection for a few weeks and cannot add these changes to his code, I
have put my changes up under subversion at:

http://svn.isapi-wsgi.python-hosting.com/sandbox/mark/ironpy-wsgi/

It does give you access to "true" ASP.NET page generation, needs some
docs and a lillte more work. But I have been using it for RSS/Atom
feed generation from a ADO.NET database under both IIS ASP.NET and
Apache mod_mono.

This email post of Seo's should help you get going:

http://lists.ironpython.com/pipermail/users-ironpython.com/2006-March/002049.html

Mark