[IronPython] speed

Luis M. Gonzalez luismg at gmx.net
Wed Jul 12 05:09:54 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask you a question about Ironpython's speed and performance:

I imagine that so far, you've been concentrated in completeness and compatibility more than performance, and I guess you'll address this issue after verion 1.0.
However, and although you claimed that Ironpython is faster than cpython, I see cases where it is slower by a large margin.
For example, the script below is up to 21x slower than cpython.

My question is: what are your expectations regarding ironpython's speed in the future?
According to your experience so far, are you confident that it will match or surpass cpython's?
Where do you think it will be better and where it will be worse?

script
-----------------------------
import time

def test():