[IronPython] is IP for me

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Sat Jan 7 23:17:18 CET 2006

Forgive the scattered comments --

IP's speed is going to be influenced by the runtime it is executed under: Microsoft's CLR, Mono, or some other third party runtime.  Speed gains can be realized by both the underlying runtime as well as the efficiency of the IL being generated.

Mono is a suitable runtime for non-Windows systems, and generally supports IP at the Mono release following an IP release (they use IP as part of their test suite).  It's still catching up to full parity, but releases more often than either CPython or Microsoft, so there is the potential for swiftly closing any gaps that may exist.  Completeness of the BCL may or may not be an issue, depending on your needs.

That said, have you checked out Phalanger?  It's an implementation of PHP for .NET, which may grant you more immediate satisfaction for a commercial project.  As I understand, it's also more mature than IP (not being a PHP-head, this is mere conjecture), and still grants access to the BCL.