[IronPython] Error while running sgmllib.py from Python 2.4 library

richard hsu richard.hsu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:38:31 CET 2006

Running: IronPython 1.0.2190 (Beta) on .NET 2.0.50727.42

C:\IronPython\Lib>ironpythonconsole sgmllib.py "c:\webhost\index.html"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File C:\Documents and Settings\user\My
Documents\Develop\IronPython\Lib\sgmllib.py, line 511, in Initialize
  File C:\Documents and Settings\user\My
Documents\Develop\IronPython\Lib\sgmllib.py, line 506, in test$f38
  File C:\Documents and Settings\user\My
Documents\Develop\IronPython\Lib\sgmllib.py, line 95, in feed$f4
  File C:\Documents and Settings\user\My
Documents\Develop\IronPython\Lib\sgmllib.py, line 116, in goahead$f7
TypeError: search() takes exactly 2 argument (3 given)

I copied both sgmllib.py and its dependency markupbase.py into the
IronPython's Lib directory before running the script. The two files are from
Python 2.4 Library. The script runs with python 2.4 and prints out the html
tags and data in the console.

Mark Pilgrim's discusses sgmllib.py in Dive Into Python [
http://diveintopython.org/html_processing/introducing_sgmllib.html]

My overall objective is to get IronPython to run Mark Pilgrim's
feedparser.py [http://feedparser.org]

feedparser.py imports sgmllib, re, sys, copy, urlparse, time, rfc822, types,
cgi, urllib, urllib2, CStringIO/StringIO, gzip/zlib, xml.sax, base64,
binascii, cjkcodecs.aliases and a few other modules. So, it will be
interesting.

Thanks in advance.