[IronPython] SimPy on IronPython timing test

Klaus Muller kgmuller at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 2 07:56:57 CET 2006

All:
I have run a first simple benchmark to compare SimPy under IronPython with SimPy under CPython. I ran the following program:

from SimPy.Simulation import *
import time

class Dum(Process):
    def run(self):
        yield hold,self,3
initialize()
nrProcs=int(raw_input("Nr of processes?"))
processes=[Dum("Dum%s"%x) for  x in range(1,nrProcs)]

for i in range(nrProcs):
    p=Dum("%s"%i)
    activate(p,p.run(),at=i)

tStart=(time.clock(),time.time())
simulate(until=2*nrProcs)
print "Ran in %s seconds for %s processes"%((time.clock()-tStart[0],time.time()-tStart[1]),nrProcs)
raw_input("Hit any key . .  .")

Here are the results:

Nr processes=10000
------------------
IronPython: 2.06 seconds
CPython: 0.5 seconds

Nr processes=50000
IronPython: 15.53 seconds
CPython: 3.67 seconds

At this moment, IronPython is clearly way slower than CPython on this benchmark.

Clearly, it is early days for IronPython (this was run under beta release 2) and its developers will surely still optimize its performance a lot.

If Microsoft actually support IronPython, this will be an important SimPy platform in the future and we will have to watch its further development.

Klaus Müller