[IronPython] IPCE and Mono 1.2 interactive interpreter sadness

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 07:57:48 CET 2006

Running IPCE r4 built against Mono 1.2.2 it seems that, in fact, the problem
still exists *UNLESS* you run ipy with -X:TabCompletion, which seems to
cause everything to behave properly.

Building IP 1.1a from source results in the following error,

IronPython/Modules/socket.cs(326,48): error CS0117:
> `System.Net.Sockets.Socket' does not contain a definition for
> `ReceiveBufferSize'
> IronPython/Modules/socket.cs(326,24): error CS0117:
> `System.Net.Sockets.Socket' does not contain a definition for
> `SendBufferSize'

So at the moment I can't verify if the same problem exists when the source
is compiled against Mono, though running against the factory binaries
results in the same behavior as above (both the problem and the fix.)

On 12/13/06, Anthony Baxter <anthonybaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Miguel de Icaza <miguel at ximian.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > > IPCE on Mono 1.1.17 works really nicely in interactive mode. Backspace
> > > works, ^D to exit works, the lot. On 1.2.2, however, it's a world of
> > > broken. Backspace is just insane, ^D stopped working again... it's
> > > pretty much unusable. I'm not sure whether this is a Mono bug (in
> > > which case it should be logged) or a problem with the IPCE code. Can
> > > you provide a more informed opinion?
> >
> > I wonder if IPCE has any patches in the Console area in addition to
> > standard IronPython, because we recently fixed the Console to work
> > properly with IronPython (stock).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "recently" - but in 1.2.2, it's still
> broken with stock ipy.exe, under both xterm and gnone-terminal.
>
> There's one patch that's in FePy that turns off the coloured console
> output, but I don't see that causing this. See
> http://fepy.sourceforge.net/patches.html

/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354