[IronPython] stdlib platform.py patch

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Dec 11 19:56:32 CET 2006

Unfortunately I think the format for 1.1 is the format that we want to keep going forward.  Just for the purposes of comparison:

1.0: IronPython 1.0.60816 on .NET 2.0.50727.42
1.0.1: IronPython 1.0 (1.0.61005.1977) on .NET 2.0.50727.42
1.1 Alpha: 2.4.0 (IronPython 1.1 Alpha (1.1) on .NET 2.0.50727.42)

The 1.1 alpha format just changed this morning - previously it didn't have the string Alpha in it and had a v before the version number.

The reason this is an important change is that there exists code that parses the version string to determine what version of CPython is running.  In those cases we want to present a compatible version string as being 2.4.x.  But of course we still want to present a version string for determining the IP version as well.  As IronPython is updated to support the features of the latest CPython releases we'll then rev the CPython version number as well (and in 1.1 setting the -X:Python25 option will cause the version string to start with 2.5.0 instead).

The good news is that "'IronPython' in sys.version" (or 'IronPython 1.' Or 'IronPython 1.0') remains as a compatible way to check across all versions.  Sorry for the changes here but this should be the final format going forward.