[IronPython] IDE status info

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Aug 31 17:25:17 CEST 2006

fabio.pliger wrote:
> Debugging IP code from VS2005 (not SDK)? You can debug it if you call
> your IP code from a .NET application... (or can you debug it from VS
> also writting an IP stand alone app?). But, always, when i tried
> debugging from VS, it was a little..."confused"... Errors return long
> and messy code....  Maybe i'm doing things wrong (and if so, please
> tell how to do it right ;) ). But, ihmo VS is far from being IP
> "friendly"...

Open Visual Studio and load the IronPython file you want to debug.

Start your IronPython process and attach the debugger to that process.

You should then be able to set breakpoints as usual, and control the
debugger in the normal way (step through, examine the callstack etc).

You will get generated code steps in the call stack, but you will also
have the line numbers for your source file - and we have found this
useful. I haven't tried it with the Visual Studio Express yet (the free
version).

Fuzzyman
http://www.resolversystems.com