[IronPython] Classes don't have doc strings

John Doty jddoty at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:16:40 CEST 2005

I have noticed that python-defined classes don't have doc strings.

foo.py:

class foo(object):
    "Test one two"
    def __init__(self):
        pass

>>> import foo
>>> print foo.foo.__doc__
IronPython.Objects.PythonAttributeError: type object 'foo' has no
attribute '__doc__'
   at IronPython.Objects.Ops.GetAttr(Object o, String name)
   at input_1.Run(Frame frame)
   at IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine.DoOneInteractive(Frame topFrame)
   at IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine.RunInteractive()

Is this known?

I modified the code gen for classes to emit a __doc__ member when it
finds a doc string in the body, in a manner similar to the way it is
done for functions. (But I have a feeling I've done it wrong, because
I don't entirely understand the way the code gen works right now.)

thanks,
john