[IronPython] Ironpython 0.7 released!

Luis M. Gonzalez luismg at gmx.net
Tue Mar 29 04:07:19 CEST 2005

I just read the last posts on this thread and I have to say that I'm really sorry for Jim.
I understand many of the concerns expressed here regarding licensing issues, but the tone of some coments sound more like menaces than suggestions.

First of all, Jim is working for Microsoft, and this is what's making possible the development of Ironpython right now.
The fact that he works in Microsoft gives him acess to the internals of the CLR and put him in the best place for developing Ironpython. This is the best thing that could happen to Ironpython at this time.
Second, Jim is the driving force behind it, and I don't see many other developers capable of taking his place at this moment.
Third, if the "evil empire" tries to steal python from us in the near future by means of its legal tricks, you all can still make a fork and go on with it.
Fourth, what reason do we have to distrust Jim? Didn't he already demonstrate what he can do for python? Isn't he the creator of Jython?
Fifth, is it that hard to understand that he is probably having a hard time trying to please everybody (the community and MS lawyers)? Why do you all make things still harder for him?

Besides, it seems perfectly reasonable that he pretends to lead Ironpython's development so firmly.
As he already stated, he is learning a ton of new interesting features regarding features for dynamic languages in the CLR.
Learning them, implementing them and teaching them to the community, all at the same time seems to be a rather daunting task...

Why don't we just relax and give Jim some credit for what he's doing? I'm sure the end result will please everybody.
Meanwhile, for all of you who want to try Boo, just go ahead! This is another excellent project with some special characteristics that make it unique.
It doesn't have to compete with Ironpython, these are not religions, these are just programming languages, tools.

Just my two cents...
Luis