[IronPython] Making A Windows Form App

xtian wilberforce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:49:00 CEST 2005

On 7/7/05, Keith J. Farmer <kfarmer at thuban.org> wrote:
> I see problems with #3, at least using those precise keywords.
>
> A variant of #3, perhaps
>
>     reference <assembly, opt version, opt culture, opt signature>
>     from System.Drawing import *

This seems like a good option - referencing an assembly is essentially
orthogonal to importing a namespace. It strikes me as similar to the
way PJE's EasyInstall handles dependencies - downloading, installing
and adding packages to the module path, ready for importing.
If it would preferable to avoid adding a keyword (for compatibility
with other implementations), a require() or reference() function that
isn't quite the same as LoadAssemblyByName() would do - one that could
handle a fully qualified strong name, as well as the more informal
ones.

> The reference syntax I suggest could address the problem of versioning problems with retrieving assemblies.
>
> As for #4 in general.  There's a problem of conflicting type names living in peer assemblies.  I think it'd best be limited to the BCL and other blessed frameworks, which can (hopefully) be counted on to play nicely with namespaces.  Also, notably, these are likely to be candidates for the GAC, or some similar cache.

It could essentially do what Jython does, but hold off until the
reference() call was issued, to avoid (some) startup penalty.

xtian