[IronPython] IronPython status

Andy Somogyi andy_somogyi at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:22:13 CET 2005

I did take a look at Boo, hoping to use some code / ideas of thier
implementation.

It is kind of an interesting implementation, they seem to be very fond of
many many
classes where each one has very little functionality by itself.

Also, part of the Boo implementation is in c# and the other part is in Boo.
I am really
not fond of interpreters written in the interpretting language. I think the
CPython / Jython / IronPython approach is MUCH better, faster, more stable
and easier to follow.

Also, I am not very fond of 'like' languages, i.e. a 'C' like language or a
'Java'
like language, or in this case a 'Python' like language.

I like IronPython because it IS Python, not 'like' Python. Also, IronPython
is well designed and it is fairly easy to follow and understand the code.

The syntactic and semantic portions of IronPython are nearly perfect, it
has a well consturcted recursive descent parser that generates a tradational
AST.

The runtime portion of IronPython just needs some work.

With my 'fork' of IronPython, I'm implementing the runtime slightly
differently.
Currently, all python objects are of a type called 'DynamicType'. When a
native
.net assembly is imported, all the types are wrapped in a derivitive of
'DynamicType'.

Now, the .net runtime allready supports the features of this type via the
'IReflect' and
'IExpando' interfaces.

So, what I am going to do is this: All Python types will implement the
IReflect and
optionally the IExpando interface. Python functions will extend the standard
'MethodInfo'
interface. Then all generated code will operate on these standard
interfaces.

The advantage is that .net assemblys can be imported directly, without
having to wrap
the types in a python type, and all Python objects can be visible to
external programs
using the standard reflection interfaces.

The other nice thing about the MethodInfo interface is that in .net 2.0
there is a
new feature called 'lightweight code generation': Basically, you can create
a new
fully dynamic method. This new method is not part of a type, and can be
garbage
collected like any other .net object. So, the .net 'DynamicMethod' type
implements
the 'MethodInfo' interface, and when IronPython moves to .net 2.0, the new
lightweight code generation features can be seamlessly added.