[IronPython] Newbie questions & comments

Martin Maly Martin.Maly at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 5 07:36:51 CET 2005

Hi Edward,

> Edward K. Ream Wrote:
>
> Something strange is happening when I do this. If  I invoke
> IronPythonConsole interactively, I can import winforms.  But
> something different happens when I execute a file.  For
> example, suppose ironPythonTest.py contains:
>
> print 'Hello Iron Python!!'
> import winforms

Are you trying to import the "winforms.py" that is part of the tutorial?
Make sure that when you run the IronPython console, you have the tutorial
directory

>>> import sys
>>> sys.path

By default, the sys.path includes current directory and the "bin\Lib" directory. You can add the tutorial directory into the sys.path:

sys.path.append(r"C:\prog\IronPython-0.9.5\Tutorial")

Or run the console from the tutorial directory.

> Possible bug 2: This generates the XP dialog:
> 'IronPythonConsole.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

Currently IronPython passes the exceptions encountered to the OS which results in the dialog box. To fix this is on our todo list.

I hope this helps
Martin