[IronPython] Iron Python Library Usage

Martin Maly martmaly at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Aug 15 21:53:35 CEST 2005

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your compliments, we are happy that you find IronPython
useful.

You are right, there are many built-in modules missing or incomplete in
IronPython 0.9.
Our focus for 0.9 was interoperability with .Net and between 0.9 and 1.0
we are going to invest a lot into making CPython and IronPython
compatible in terms of using the same libraries, making sure that
CPython regression test suite runs well on IronPython, that programs
written in Python language that run well on CPython run also on
IronPython.

Out of your two "a" and "b" scenarios, we are planning on providing both
and I hope we succeed. You bring up a good point with strings. If I am a
.Net programmer and want to use string, I may want to see the .Net
methods on the string object, i.e:

"hi".ToUpper()

whereas a Python programmer coming to IronPython could very well prefer
to see the standard Python way:

"hi".upper()

It is not obvious how to approach this, but definitely our goal is to
make sure that we stay true to the Python lanugage and its libraries and
as I said, it is our focus from now on to make progress on the libraries
and built-in modules etc.

I hope this answers your question,

Martin