[IronPython] Questions for FAQ or User Guide

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Thu Apr 21 00:23:53 CEST 2005

Well, the point I was going to bring up last night was that one could live very happily within IronPython, following Pythonic customs; but one should be expected to follow the customs that exist in the CLR world when talking with it.

Some types I can see free conversions for -- particularly value types.  Some types, such as arrays, would be tricker and I suspect impossible in cases: for those I'd desire strong-typing.  For stuff that IronPython may expose to the outside world, strong-typing should be a requirement (even if it's declaring the type to be Object), no?

C#2 brings on type inference for delegates, so I can see a similar scheme going on.  For IronPython I think it'd be closer to a dispatch based on type, which I can see getting very bloaty.

I'm not familiar with how Jim addressed this in Jython?