[IronPython] To Compile or Not to compile, that's the question

Innes MacKenzie innesm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:49:31 CEST 2005

On 4/17/05, Joe Mason <joe at notcharles.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 10:55:08AM +0100, Innes MacKenzie wrote:
> > On 4/17/05, Swaroop C H <swaroopch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > "ipc" is just too cryptic.
> >
> > What about 'dir', 'cd', 'csc'?
>
> The first two are historical, and it's too late to change them.  The
> third is just stupid.

So they ought to be ListDirectoryContents, ChangeDirectory, and
CSharpCompiler. Hrmm.
(NB: I believe monad implements short names as aliases, maybe
ironpythonwhateveritis.exe can be aliased as part of the default
install, so everyone can rely on the alias, but the more flowery and
discursive amongst us can use the long form. Or are there downsides to
that, I wonder?)

> > > If the command-line guys are worried about number of characters, I
> > > assure you that there is such a thing as tab completion.
> >
> > That only works on files relative to the current directory, or on
> > absolute paths.
>
> What?

Ahem. That only works on... oh I see, rhetorical.

> What OS are you talking about?  On Linux it works everywhere,
> even searching $PATH.

Point made.

>On Windows, why does it matter?  Don't you just
> associate .py with the executable and doubleclick it?

Yes, I have .cs associated with csc so I can compile my C# projects
simply by doubleclicking!
(just kidding)