[IronPython] Re: MSH vs IronPython

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Thu Sep 30 17:02:07 CEST 2004

<soapbox subject="MSH and scripting languages" notIronPython=true>

It's very annoying / disappointing / frustrating / stupid / typical that when MS decides that they need a "better" command-prompt language that, instead of using an existing scripting language that could do everything they want (like Python just to name one possibility), they invent something completely new and different with new syntax, new semantics, new everything.

Aren't there enough scripting languages already?  What capabilities does MSH have that couldn't be added to Python (or some other extensible scriptable language) by building an appropriate library?  Couldn't JScript.Net be the language, if they don't want to support Python?  Is the problem that Python is cross-platform, and thus not proprietary to MS?  Is the problem that .Net no longer locks you into Windows (thanks to Mono) so they don't want to use it for simple tasks?  (Are we supposed to build "production applications" in MSH that lock our users into Windows?  Are we going to be begging for MSH compilers and so on?  ARGHHH!)

Are MS intentionally trying to make everyone keep learning how to dance MS's new dances (to the same old songs) in order to prevent anyone from having the time to build anything that might actually provide some benefit to users, something that "accidentally" might not lock the users and developers into using Windows exclusively?

It's time for us to say ENOUGH in as loud a voice as the development community can muster.  I believe wholeheartedly in the .NET initiative; MS had gone a ridiculously long time without providing developers with _any_ programming environment with the productivity advantages that "managed languages" (like Python, Java, Ruby, APL, even J{ava}Script) provide.  But now that we've gone through the process of learning "the .NET way" they need to stop forcing us to learn yet another way of doing things when there are already many ways to do everything that a command-prompt language needs to do.

</soapbox>

At 05:33 PM 9/29/2004, Lloyd Dupont wrote