[IronPython] Re: users-ironpython.com Digest, Vol 2, Issue 3

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Thu Sep 2 23:08:59 CEST 2004

Nick Bastin <nbastin at opnet.com> writes:

> On Sep 2, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Randall Burns wrote:
>
>> Why can use of static types be done in libraries
>> specfic to IronPython? That would given IronPython
>> programs a limited interface using static types to
>> call DLL's and such -or am I  missing something here?

Well, you have to define a langauage construct before you
can implement anything at all.  It's not a core library vs
IP-specific library issue.

> Couldn't we use decorators to create native interfaces to any
> function we wanted to expose?  This would be similar to the use
> of decorators in pyobjc.

Yes, decorators could probably serve that purpose.  I haven't been
following CPython since 1.6, but I understand that decorators have
been added or are being added to an upcoming release.  Can you
decorate parameters, also, or just functions and classes?  Ideally,
you'd want to decorate a parameter with its type, otherwise you're
back to a syntactical issue.

Can you point to an example in pyobjc?  I tried to find something
on the site, but I got too irritated at their slow-rendering header
and gave up.  From what I remember about ObjC, though, the
language supports sending messages to objects without knowing
anything about the object.  This is a lot more compatible with
the Python object model than the C#/VB model, where everything
is strongly typed.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org