[IronPython] Lightweight Code Generation?

Alex Hoffman ironpython at alexh.sent.com
Fri Oct 8 09:19:09 CEST 2004

I'd be really interested in hearing more about your intended use of the
LCG mechanism in 2.0.  In the past, I had intended introducing a shell
or "interactive" mode to a "scripting" type product I had written
(http://alintex.com/products.aspx).  The intention was to build on the
current CodeDom functionality and use Reflection.Emit to generate
opcodes based on parsed code at the "command line" in a similar way to
what IronPython does now.

For example one could type in vb.net (following the example in your blog
entry) ...

 >>> imports Systems.Windows.Forms

 >>> print 2+2
4
 >>> w = new Form

 >>> b = new Button

 >>> b.Text = "push me"

 >>> w.Controls.Add(b)

 >>> w.ShowDialog()
dialog pops up here

But I effectively abandoned that because of the imprecise syntax and
vocab of say VB.NET (I left out how to handle the click event on button
b above for a reason), but also because I thought that constantly
consuming (unrecoverable) memory each time someone hit the enter key was
unacceptable.  I guess it could be revisited in light of dynamic methods.

Alex Hoffman