[IPython-dev] package dependencies when trying to install ipython 8.5.0

Fourhundred Thecat 400thecat at gmx.ch
Tue Jul 25 00:35:02 EDT 2023

Hello,

I have been using ipython 5.8.0 on Debian 10.

Now I have upgraded to Debian 12 which has ipython 8.5.0

When I try to install python3-ipython, it wants to install graphical
dependencies such as python3-matplotlib-inline:

# apt-cache show python3-ipython | grep Depends
Depends: python3-backcall, python3-decorator, python3-jedi (>= 0.16),
python3-matplotlib-inline, python3-pexpect, python3-pickleshare,
python3-prompt-toolkit (>= 2), python3-pygments, python3-stack-data,
python3-traitlets, python3:any, python3-setuptools

I would just like to install plain console (command line) version of
ipython.

Why does it want to install gui dependencies?

Is this something Debian specific, or do these dependencies come from
ipython upstream?

thanks,