[IPython-dev] IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:50:07 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Huge thanks to Paul Ivanov for releasing IPython 7.0.0b1 !
Send love his way.

TL:DR;
- Read and complain about Changelog
https://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/whatsnew/version7.html
- it is only on PyPI: pip install ipython --pre
- corresponding version of IPykernel that enable some features is _not out
yet_.
- biggest changes are: async-Repl/Prompt-toolkit-2/new-input-transformer
- It drops Python support for 3.3 and 3.4

Longer version.

We've been working hard on getting fancy new features to IPython (and
ipykernel), so we are please to have the beta1 of IPython 7.

There are some major change in the internals, please test and contribute
update to the docs and what's new[1] when you can. Even just opening a
issue to say that something is not clear/surprising/missing-link/you love
us/etc... is helpful.

 - I'm not sure how to make a prerelease on conda-forge, thus this is only
available on PyPI with pip, installable by passing the --pre flag. If you
know how to do that on conda-forge, help welcommed.

- The new Async REPL in the notebook (and other frontends) will require
IPykernel 5.0 to be release. Right now it works only in plain terminal
IPython. We'll do a beta soon, but sleep is needed before that. see [1]

- Update to PTK2. see [1]

- If you want to help in anyway, have for example reading/writing skills
for the 7.0 blog post announce, or just want to +1 on an issue subscribe to
the 7.0 meta issue [2].

- Tell you friends to look at [1]

- It is still **beta** that is to say changes still possible. We'll do a Rc
in a week or so.

- Have fun.

Much love from the IPython team. An much love to any contributors and users
that made this possible.
--
Matthias

1: https://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/whatsnew/version7.html