[IPython-dev] IPython 6.0 released

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 20:07:04 EDT 2017

Hi Jason

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Jason Grout <jason at jasongrout.org> wrote:
> Congratulations! And our first python 3-only package!

JupyterHub was only Python 3 only :-)

> How long are we planning to support 5.x?

Our roadmaps says:

June 2016 : Release IPython 5.0 LTS

Traitlets "LTS"
ipykernel LTS
ipython_genutils LTS

January 2017 : Release IPython 6.0 Python 3 only.
July 2017 : Release Notebook 6.0 Python 3 only.
December 2017: IPython 7.0
December 2017: End of active support IPython 5.x LTS
July 2019 : Complete end of support for IPython 5.x

from [here](https://github.com/jupyter/roadmap/blob/master/accepted/migration-to-python-3-only.md).

I guess we are a bit late on Schedule, and technically we have 3 month
to drop Python 2 from the notebook package , we can slide a bit,
and we haven't decided IIRC if "No more support" means officially no
support, or actually incompatible in the codebase. Also it's not
because
the **server** is Python 2 incompat that you can't run Python 2 kernels.