[IPython-dev] IPython 4.1.0 out.

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:36:58 EST 2016

Hello fellow Pythonistas,

As promised a few days ago, and as we did not get any outstanding bug reports, IPython 4.1.0 is now out !

And, as usual you can upgrade with

	$ pip install ipython --upgrade

The conda folks should update their recipe shortly in which case you will be able to upgrade using conda,
the `-y` flag will skip prompting you for confirmation :-P

	$ conda install ipython -y

You can see the short list of new features on readthedocs [1]:

	• IPython debugger (IPdb) now supports the number of context lines for the where (and w) commands. The context keyword is also available in various APIs.
	• YouTube video will now show thumbnail when exported to a media that do not support video.
	• Add warning when running ipython <subcommand> when subcommand is deprecated. jupyter should now be used.
	• Code in %pinfo (also known as ??) are now highlighter.
	• %aimport now support module completion
	• ipdb output is now colored !
	• Add ability to transpose columns for completion

And the stats[2]:

	We closed 60 issues and merged 148 pull requests,  with 52 authors contributing 468 commits.
	To  compare with the big split (3.x-> 4.0)
	We closed 35 issues and merged 125 pull requests, with 69 authors contributed 1186 commits.

So this is not such a small release.

We should shortly branch toward a 5.0 that will likely drop some backward compatibility (remove a few shims, deprecated API...etc),
so stay alert if you are on master.

Enjoy this release, Thanks
--
Matthias for the IPython team.