[IPython-dev] IPython 5.0 and ConfigManager issue

Damián Avila damianavila at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:33:05 EDT 2016

Just to add a little bit more of info... if you are using RISE master and
notebook 4.2.1, you probably need something like this if you have them
installed in an environment:

from traitlets.config.manager import BaseJSONConfigManager
path = "/home/damian/miniconda3/envs/rise_latest/etc/jupyter/nbconfig"
cm = BaseJSONConfigManager(config_dir=path)
cm.update('livereveal', {
    stuff...
})

where rise_latest is the environment where you have RISE + notebook
installed...

Alternative, to customize the presentation you can also use the notebook
metadata... I will be releasing a RISE 4.0.0 beta soon... where some issues
So you can try customization on the fly... without restarting the notebook
server nor reloading the page.

> Hi Alan,
>
> The import for ConfigManager is now:
>
> from notebook.services.config import ConfigManager
>
> And you don't need any of the profile stuff - Jupyter, which includes all
> of the notebook frontend machinery, doesn't have profiles.
>
> Thomas
>
> On 2 August 2016 at 16:00, Alan <alanwilter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is not working for me:
>>
>> from IPython.html.services.config import ConfigManagerfrom IPython.utils.path import locate_profilecm = ConfigManager(profile_dir=locate_profile(get_ipython().profile))cm.update('livereveal', {
>>               'theme': 'serif',
>>               'transition': 'zoom',
>>               'start_slideshow_at': 'selected',})
>>
>> TraitError: The 'parent' trait of a ConfigManager instance must be a Configurable, but a value of class 'NoneType' (i.e. None) was specified.
>>
>> It looks like IPY 5 changed the way it handles the configuration?
>>
>> I have these warning in my prompt:
>>
>> /sw/lib/python3.5/site-packages/IPython/utils/traitlets.py:5:
>> UserWarning: IPython.utils.traitlets has moved to a top-level traitlets
>> package.
>>
>>   warn("IPython.utils.traitlets has moved to a top-level traitlets
>> package.")
>>
>> /sw/lib/python3.5/site-packages/IPython/utils/path.py:283: UserWarning:
>> locate_profile has moved to the IPython.paths module
>>
>>   warn("locate_profile has moved to the IPython.paths module")
>>
>> But I don't know how to fix it. I am using ipython/jupyter + RISE and I
>> want to customise my presentations.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Wilter SOUSA da SILVA, DSc
>> Senior Bioinformatician, UniProt
>> European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
>> European Molecular Biology Laboratory
>> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
>> Hinxton
>> Cambridge CB10 1SD