[IPython-dev] [jupyter]News from a French Mooc about Python with ipython

Benjamin Ninassi benjamin.ninassi at inria.fr
Tue Mar 31 09:37:44 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Months ago I told you about our purpose to use ipython notebooks on a web plateform (without requiring students to install anything on their computer) in a Mooc about python programming on the governmental french Mooc plateform https://www.france-universite-numerique-mooc.fr/ .

The mooc ( https://www.france-universite-numerique-mooc.fr/courses/inria/41001/Trimestre_4_2014/about ) took place between november and december 2014, featuring 111 ipython notebooks (+ videos, quizz and other contents).

On this occasion we have developed an application infrastructure around ipython notebooks.
This infrastructure allows, through a URL containing a student identifier and a notebook name :
- to dynamically create student accounts on the server
- to copy the teacher's notebook to the student directory, and create access to some resources (data, media)
- to dynamically launch an ipython dedicated web server for the student (assuming it's not already running) so that it can use its versions of the notebooks in a mastered context (for security issues)

Some other features have been developed and integrated (eg deployment management of the teacher notebooks), the possibility to reset notebook (get the latest version of the teacher), the ability to generate a static html version deployed in the student space, allowing him to share its results with other students (through eg forum), etc. The GUI has also been slightly customized to access these features and limit feasible actions by students who do not know the keyboard shortcuts. A xBlock for OpenEdx was created so as to include these notebooks in the MOOC platform through an iframe to completely integrate the course complements the platform.
The developments were largely made in php / Symfony2 + some shell scripts, the server-side security was mostly made with AppArmor.

The MOOC went very well (over 9,000 enrolled students) and feedbacks on the notebooks were extremely positive!
This application will be reused in a robotics MOOC before this summer, and the python programming MOOC will be replayed next fall.

We had no time to properly package the developments or write anything on the subject, but as I discover https://developer.rackspace.com/blog/deploying-jupyterhub-for-education/ , I feel JupyterHub was Developed to meet a similar need, any feedback on its use in a Mooc or any massive environnement with hundreds of students at a time would be interesting !

Feel free to come back to me with any questions !

Best regards,

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Ninassi
SEISM - Development Team & Mooclab INRIA
benjamin.ninassi at inria.fr