[IPython-dev] Fully customize IPython notebook highlighting?

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:56:20 EDT 2015

Hi Anton,

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 23:40, Anton Suchaneck <a.suchaneck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've attempted to customize the syntax highlighting for the IPython notebook with custom.css
> I couldn't set a color for brackets through cm-bracket. Is it not connected?
> Also I couldn't find any useful effect from cm-atom, cm-property, cm-attribute, cm-variable-2.
>
> Are these classes not functional and where can I find more information about it?

All all the highlighting is done by code mirror, nothing is IPython specific.

> What is the simplest way to include some custom highlighting? For example color everything before a "=" or even a more complex regex.

I suggest you have a  look at CodeMirror Modes Api
http://codemirror.net/doc/manual.html#modeapi <http://codemirror.net/doc/manual.html#modeapi>

This explain to you what a mode is, and how it works.
Codemirror Mailing List / forum will be more appropriate.
Once you know how to do what you want in CodeMirror we can help you
to apply it to IPython.