[IPython-dev] Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Kyle Kelley rgbkrk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 10:05:50 EDT 2015

> I see a lot of problems with this

I assume you're saying the inherent cross site scripting issue with this.
If we ever enabled it, it wouldn't be a default on tmpnb (the code, not the
service). The related issue for this is
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-demo-images/issues/16 (I should open a
new one...)

If someone wants to add it on to jupyter/tmpnb, it's a matter of making the
redirect uri an optional GET param for the spawn handler (that should be
disabled at the server level by default):
https://github.com/jupyter/tmpnb/blob/d74561c7ff80721b4aefea66ab435459e59dfe9a/orchestrate.py#L68

> Perhaps another option could be to use sharecell and thebe

:) I like how if I leak something on Twitter it eventually reaches the
mailing list. Share cell was built for a demo this weekend, but (expectedly
so) people are already using for silly little snippets:
https://goo.gl/02ekaZ

Pairing it up with github.js is quite neat, I did a bit of a mockup with it
earlier but was unsure about a reasonable standard of handling gists.
Mimicking nbviewer might be ok. The nice thing there is that it can all be
done client side. ;)

The difference between a link to a sharecell "page" and a notebook is that
javascript output on sharecell doesn't show until you run the snippet
whereas the notebook server will display any trusted notebook.

-- Kyle

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Cyrille Rossant <cyrille.rossant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Perhaps another option could be to use sharecell and thebe?
> https://github.com/rgbkrk/share-cell
> https://github.com/oreillymedia/thebe
>
> I imagine one could create a pure client-side JS app that downloads a
> public notebook and displays one interactive cell per notebook cell.

> > I see a lot of problems with this, but would desperately love to see it
> > happen.
> >
> > If some route on tmpnb used the same url scheme as nbviewer, and we knew
> > which kernels were there, it would be possible to make every notebook up
> > there viewable... Maybe even use nbviewer as a first pass filter.
> >
> > The issues:
> > - no real knowledge of which kernels are available in tmpnb (working on
> > this)
> > - no concise metadata for what should be available when the kernel starts
> > (requirements.txt)
> > - many notebooks use other things (code, assets) stored along with
> them...
> > What should we being along? For repos, that would be "easy," for raw URLs
> > that would be "impossible".
> > - At the end of a session... So what? Likely will never add
> authentication
> > to tmpnb, so it would be hard to get your data back out... Fine for
> > playground stuff, but...
> >

> > On 08:11, Mon, Jun 1, 2015 Jason Moore <moorepants at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in
> >> their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e.
> without
> >> downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that
> possible?
> >>
> >> Jason
> >> moorepants.info
> >> +01 530-601-9791