[IPython-dev] Poll on Deprecating %load_ext

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 23:11:05 EDT 2015

Hi Max,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Maximilian Albert <
maximilian.albert at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I'd like to point out that it's barely been 16 hours since
> Matthias' first email in this thread, so I'm almost certain that not
> everybody who has an opinion on this has even read all the emails yet). As
> we saw in the discussion about deleting gitter chatrooms, proceeding too
> quickly can lead to frustration even for core developers who continuously
> monitor this mailing list if they feel they didn't have a chance to respond
> in time.
>
> I was wondering whether it's worth having some sort of 'protocol' which
> prescribes certain minimum timeframe for these kinds of discussion and
> ensures that everyone interested has had a chance to state there opinion on
> it? It would be a shame to alienate users just because they miss a
> discussion that only lasted for a few hours. We might not even find out
> about it because they may just silently turn away from the community
> without speaking up.

you are, of course, absolutely correct!

I'm sorry that, in my enthusiasm due to having recently gotten back a bit
into the swing of more regular ML activity, I completely forgot to check
the actual lifetime of this PR/discussion.

Given there was absolutely nothing particularly time-sensitive about this,
yes, the normal, sane thing to do is to give it a couple of days to sit, so
folks have a chance to catch up...

What I did here is exactly what drives my wife crazy when I pick up the
plates before she's done eating and start washing... Sorry, my OCD at work
:)