[IPython-dev] IPython and Jupyter 4.0 release plans

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 00:22:32 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've volunteered to co-ordinate the release of our various packages for
> 4.0. This will hopefully be the only time that we need to do a co-ordinated
> release of all the projects: once 4.0 is out, they should mostly be able to
> evolve independently. So here's a summary of the current state and where
> we're going.
>
> We have already released: traitlets, jupyter_core, nbformat,
> ipython_genutils
>
> I hope that in the sprints here at Scipy 2015, we can get jupyter_client
> and nbconvert released.
>
> After this, the packages will need some extra co-ordination: ipykernel,
> ipyparallel, ipywidgets, notebook, jupyter_console and jupyter_qtconsole
> all depend on a new release of the ipython package, but that new release
> will remove all the features that are moving into those packages, and we
> don't want to leave people unable to install the notebook.
>
> I hope that we can dodge this by releasing ipython 4.0.beta1 first, then
> releasing packages with a dependency on that, and releasing ipython 4.0
> final as the last thing. I want to talk this over with Min to check that it
> will work. If not, we can either release the other packages first, so
> you'll only be able to install them once ipython 4 is out, or do a 'big
> bang' release of those seven packages more or less simultaneously.

I had been thinking that we could just release the downstream packages
(qtconsole, console, ipykernel, etc.) first. They wouldn't be installable
in a clean env until ipython 4 ships, but they would still work fine if
IPython had been installed first (or in the same command) from master.
However, doing a beta release would allow us to skip the `-e` step, and
just require a `--pre` tag in the meantime before IPython stable ships,
which is probably better.

We'll talk more at SciPy tomorrow and during the sprints, but I'm
optimistic that we can get this stuff shipped promptly.

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

-MinRK