[IPython-dev] rant: "%matplotlib inline"

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 21:37:42 EDT 2015

I just want to make sure that I understand this.
Is the claim that having to remember to enter
%matplotlib inline
is too confusing for students who need to show
matplotlib figures inline in their notebook.
Is that the claim?

I ask because I teach some economics courses
with IPython notebooks, and my students typically
have had little or no previous Python exposure.
I have never had a complaint about this.
(Additionally, I find they syntax nice and explicit.)

I do sometimes email students the contents of a
notebook configuration cell, which they can then
copy and paste to get started. But not always.
In the end, I find myself doubting this really
presents a serious issue for teaching.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac