[IPython-dev] Can't uninstall Ipython.

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 16:35:06 EDT 2015

> Downloaded Ipython package and install. $ python setup.py install

I think you might have to remove by hand. Pip is often not able to remove what he did not install.
Why did you installed manually ?

> What does $ which ipython gives ?
>
> /usr/local/bin/ipython
>

>  In[1]: import IPython
>  In[2]: IPython??
>
> and look at which file is IPython module defined ?
>
> No idea how to check.

$ ipython
In [1]: import IPython

In [2]: IPython??

Type:        module
String form: <module 'IPython' from '/Users/bussonniermatthias/dev/ipython/IPython/__init__.py'>
File:        ~/dev/ipython/IPython/__init__.py

Tell me where  IPython files are.
You can probably just nuke them with `rm -rf` as well as `/usr/local/bin/ipython` and other `/usr/local/bin/ipcluster` and ip something related files.