[IPython-dev] IPython messaging spec for warnings with traceback

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:09:13 EST 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 14:55, Matthias Bussonnier <
bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess if we standardize a spec for traceback, it might make sens to
> reconsider
> displaying tracebacks in the middle of execution. But if you already have
> argument
> for that now, you can expose them.

There is an 'error' message for displaying errors, which is separate from
the execution_reply. IIRC, the error message determines what the UI
actually sees, and the execution_reply may affect the frontend's behaviour
(it considers that execution to have failed). If I'm right, sending an
'error' message for a warning and then sending execute_reply with status OK
should work correctly.

We probably don't need to be sending all the error information twice, but
that's another issue.

Thomas