[IPython-dev] IPython messaging spec for warnings with traceback

Zakariyya Mughal zaki.mughal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:44:40 EST 2015

Hello,

I'm working on the IPerl language kernel and I wanted to implement
Perl's warning system.

In the messaging spec, I can only return the extra fields for error
names, traceback, etc. only if the status in the `execute_reply` message
is 'error' <http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html#execution-results>.

Since warnings do not halt the execution of the program, how should I
approach this? I think the current way in IPython is to have warnings go
to `stderr` rather than have a separate traceback mechanism.

Regards,
- Zaki Mughal