[IPython-dev] Jupyter Hub and Users

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 17:17:15 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Matthias Bussonnier <
bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point, JupyterHub doesn't offer anything beyond what you can do
> with filesystem permissions - no cross-user notifications, or anything. The
> multi-user context has no awareness of what notebooks are open or by whom.
> We do plan to add some amount of sharing functionality to it, but we have
> not yet decided how that should look or what we can/should provide
> before/in addition to live collaboration.
>

> Though IPython3 should warn you if you try to save a notebook that has
> been modified on Disk,
> and confirm save.
> Right ?

Yes, that's true. At this point, it should behave roughly comparably to
users with their own independent text editors editing files on a shared
filesystem. You will get notified on save if the file has changed out from
under you. The notification happens when you try to save, though, not when
the changes happen. That's something we probably could support, but is
perhaps unlikely.

-MinRK