[IPython-dev] how to display messages received by console or notebook front end

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:03:46 EDT 2015

Thanks a lot, Matthias. I applied the patch and now I see messages
received by the front end (as well as messages sent).

The problem I have been banging my head against is that I am trying to
send messages on the stdin channel from the kernel to the front end
and the messages don't appear to be sent. This is very mysterious to
me. I am working with a Lisp wrapper around libzmq and I can trace
calls to the point where the wrapper is supposed to call zmq_send but
nothing gets sent. I am watching the stdin port via tcpdump and there
is no traffic there when I try to send something from my Maxima
kernel, but there is traffic when I use the Python kernel and enter
input("foo") as you suggested.

I tried strace to see if I could see socket writes but I don't see
them (perhaps I'm just not finding them in all the strace output).

The libzmq wrapper seems to be working OK since traffic on other
channels is sent and received successfully.

I know this isn't much to go on, but do you have any advice about how
I can debug this problem? Does it sound familiar, like any problem you
have encountered in the past?

Thanks for your continued assistance, I really appreciate it.

best,

Robert Dodier