[IPython-dev] git describe doesn't work?

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 05:48:19 EDT 2014

Matthias Bussonnier <bussonniermatthias <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Le 24 sept. 2014 à 11:06, Dave Hirschfeld a écrit :
>
> > I've observed that git describe doesn't seem to work properly with
the
> > ipython repo which makes my conda dev builds have the wrong version
> > number.
>
> What do you mean by do not work properly ?
> The things that you show below seem reasonable.

As shown, git describe says the tip of master is 1644 commits on from
release *2.0.0* which is all well and good, but what you really want to
know is how far from the *latest* release you are.

This is important, because using the output from git describe will
result in the latest master (rel-2.0.0-1644-ga2e1c67) comparing less
than the last release (rel-2.2.0) which is obviously not what you want.

In [5]: verlib.NormalizedVersion('2.0.0.1644') >
verlib.NormalizedVersion('2.2.0')
Out[5]: False

It seems James has tracked down the source of the problem, so if it's
not intentional that releases aren't ancestors of master it would be
nice to ensure they are going forward IMHO

-Dave