[IPython-dev] Equation rending in html produced via 'ipython nbconvert --to html' not working

Fangohr H. H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 05:19:10 EDT 2014

Dear IPython team and users,

it looks like I am having an installation/configuration/some-other issue on OS X 10.9.4 that leads to this behaviour:

for a notebook x.ipynb (available at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/temp/nbconvert-html-issue/x.ipynb)
that contains a markdown cell with input “$x^2$”, the output x.html (available at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/temp/nbconvert-html-issue/x.html)
is not rendered correctly when an html version of the notebook is produced using “ipython nbconvert —to html x.ipynb”.

nbconvert-html-issue $> ipython nbconvert --to html x.ipynb
[NbConvertApp] Using existing profile dir: u'/Users/fangohr/.ipython/profile_default'
[NbConvertApp] Converting notebook x.ipynb to html
[NbConvertApp] Support files will be in x_files/
[NbConvertApp] Loaded template full.tpl
[NbConvertApp] Writing 184105 bytes to x.html

Both files are available at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/temp/nbconvert-html-issue/

When http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/temp/nbconvert-html-issue/x.html is opened in Safari (or Firefox), the equation shows as the source, i.e. "$x^2$”  (including the dollars) or - when Node.js was not installed as something like “\(x\^2\)”.

I was hoping for a (mathjax) representation of $x^2$ as in rendered latex, i.e. the 2 in superscript.

This used to work in the past, although I can’t make it work now.

Some additional information:

I started from a new installation of Python via Anaconda 2.0 (Python 2.7, 64 bit for OS X), then updated conda, anaconda, ipython and python-notebook.

$> ipython --version
2.2.0
$> ipython notebook --version
2.2.0
$> ipython nbconvert --version
2.2.0

The output of ‘iptest’ is available at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/temp/nbconvert-html-issue/iptest.log

Can anybody else see this problem? Any ideas what I am missing?

Many thanks,

Hans